Subject: bug#22569: closed (Re: bug#22569: 24.5; gud/gdb with tramp: warning in setting controlling terminal)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 13:34:02 +0000

Your bug report

#22569: 24.5; gud/gdb with tramp: warning in setting controlling terminal

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22569: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22569
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22569: 24.5; gud/gdb with tramp: warning in setting controlling terminal
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Aiko Kyle <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 15:33:04 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> You're right, it is the same problem as desribed in 4604 and 6360, so I
> merge this bug with them.
>
> And I will also close all of them; the incrimed message is just a
> warning which doesn't harm.

I've added the following text to the Tramp manual, section 5.4.5
"Running a debugger on a remote host":

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Since the remote ‘gdb’ and ‘gdb-inferior’ processes do not belong
to the same process group on the remote host, there will be a warning,
which can be ignored:

&"warning: GDB: Failed to set controlling terminal: Operation not permitted\n"
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I'm closing the three bugs.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 24.5; gud/gdb with tramp: warning in setting controlling terminal
From: Aiko Kyle <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 23:27:26 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I run gdb on a remote host through tramp I get the following
warning in the input/output buffer:

"warning: GDB: Failed to set controlling terminal: Operation not
permitted\n"

Tramp is defaulting to a scp connection to the remote server on which
I'm running gdb.

I still got it with emacs -q so it definetly not caused by any external
packages. It seems bug#4604 and bug#6360 are similar to this but I
couldn't find any resolution to these and it has been awhile since these
were submitted.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21)
 of 2015-04-10 on builder10-9.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1404
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  gdb-many-windows: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Tramp: Checking `vc-registered' for /scp:andrew:/afs/
andrew.cmu.edu/usr4/akyle/private/213/bomb/bomb.c...done
Tramp: Inserting `/scp:andrew:/afs/
andrew.cmu.edu/usr4/akyle/private/213/bomb/bomb.c'...done
Switched to thread 1
Switched to thread nil
Undefined command: "ls".  Try "help".
End of buffer
Undefined command: "ls".  Try "help".
Switched to thread 1
Making completion list... [2 times]
call-interactively: End of buffer [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils cus-start cus-load
cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs gdb-mi bindat json gud easy-mmode dired
tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cl-loaddefs cl-lib cconv eieio-core
gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver
shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring format-spec advice help-fns
help-mode easymenu time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process cocoa ns
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 153830 10968)
 (symbols 48 24590 0)
 (miscs 40 169 224)
 (strings 32 33803 3614)
 (string-bytes 1 1066376)
 (vectors 16 17496)
 (vector-slots 8 501946 5953)
 (floats 8 337 357)
 (intervals 56 996 30)
 (buffers 960 29))