Subject: bug#22564: Fundamental mode isn't fundamental enough.

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:39:32 +0200

John Wiegley <[email-masked]> writes:

> I would rather that fundamental-mode be as non-magical as possible also.
> Anything content-aware (like electric indentation) smacks of enriched behavior
> over what is fundamental.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

The issue is whether modes like `electric-indent-mode' should be
disabled in fundamental-mode buffers.  But I don't think that disabling
all global minor modes in fundamental-mode will yield a pleasant result,
especially as so many things are now defined as global minor modes.

By default, a fundamental-mode buffer in "emacs -Q" has the following:

Global minor modes enabled: Auto-Encryption Blink-Cursor
Electric-Indent File-Name-Shadow Global-Eldoc Global-Font-Lock
Show-Paren Tooltip Transient-Mark

For instance, we certainly don't want the cursor to not blink in a
fundamental-mode buffer, or not have transient-mark not work.

So I don't think we want to change anything here, and I'm therefore
closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no