Subject: bug#22564: Fundamental mode isn't fundamental enough.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 05:31:53 +0200

> From: Achim Gratz <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 22:01:59 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
> >> > The stuff that gets put into the selection is up to the application
> >> > that owns the selection, right?
> >> 
> >> That was the same Emacs in this case that I then pasted the text into.
> >
> > No, I mean the application from which the text came.
> 
> That's what I meant, I was pasting from the same non-GUI Emacs running
> in the konsole terminal.

I'm confused.  You said:

>                             Whether or not the trailing whitespace
> gets added seems to depend on where I copy from: copying from the
> terminal window itself adds whitespace, copying from an Emacs GUI
> frame doesn't.

Do you mean that the terminal window in question was a TTY frame in
the same Emacs session as the GUI frame?  If so, copying from the
terminal frame is not copying from Emacs, but from the terminal
emulator that runs in that window, I think, as Emacs cannot access the
X selection from a TTY frame.  The selection owner in the TTY case is
the terminal emulator, not Emacs.