Subject: Re: bug#22564: Fundamental mode isn't fundamental enough.

From: Achim Gratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 22:02:17 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> That entry does absolutely nothing to explain what "bracketed paste
>> mode" actually is or how it can be used in Emacs.
>
> I tried to clarify that entry.

Thank you.

>> A cursory search leads me to believe that this is something that
>> some terminal emulators optionally can do and is switched off by
>> default even then.  In other words, it is completely useless if
>> you're not using one of those terminal emulators that do support it
>> or on those that do and have it switched off.
>
> The mode is always turned off by default; Emacs automatically turns it
> on if the terminal supports it.

OK, then it seems that this doesn't work on mintty.  How to tell for
sure from within Emacs?  How does Emacs determine the capabilities of
the terminal?

> Do you see the indentation happen when you paste into a GUI session?
> I don't think this happens on GUI frames; in particular, I cannot
> reproduce Alan's original report when I paste the text he provided
> into a GUI frame.

I can only try with Emacs 24.5 at the moment and there pasting works
indeed correctly in a GUI frame, but not in mintty.

> AFAIK, this problem is specific to pasting into a TTY frame, so the
> bracketed paste mode is indeed relevant.

Mintty has implemented bracketed paste mode, but Emacs doesn't seem to
recognize and/or use it, then.  Feel free to split this off into another
bug.

Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#BlofeldUserWavetables