Subject: Re: bug#22564: Fundamental mode isn't fundamental enough.

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 13:33:39 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > I think fundamental mode existed long before derived modes did. 

Fundamental mode has existed since 1984.  The concept of derived modes
came at least 10 years after that.  What was always true is that other
major modes obtain their effects by changing some per-buffer values
away from the defaults that are in effect in Fundamental mode.

								     To say
  > it shouldn't be used directly by users is a bit strange, IMAO.

It is meant to be used by users.  Creating a buffer puts it in
Fundamental mode.  Visiting a file which does not specify any mode,
through its contents or its name, uses Fundamental mode.

This has always been the case.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (gnu.org, fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (internethalloffame.org)
Skype: No way! See stallman.org/skype.html.