Subject: bug#22564: Fundamental mode isn't fundamental enough.

From: Achim Gratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 17:59:04 +0100

Mark Oteiza writes:
>> What is "bracketed paste"?  The term appears only in xterm.el, but that
>> file doesn't say what it is.
>
> It's in NEWS as well. Paraphrasing: it means Emacs understands a chunk of
> text that is "bracketed" (surrounded) by escape characters as a string
> to be inserted, instead of interpreting each character in the pasted
> text as actual user input.

That entry does absolutely nothing to explain what "bracketed paste
mode" actually is or how it can be used in Emacs.  A cursory search
leads me to believe that this is something that some terminal emulators
optionally can do and is switched off by default even then.  In other
words, it is completely useless if you're not using one of those
terminal emulators that do support it or on those that do and have it
switched off.

The list of instances where bracketed paste mode isn't available
includes the GUI Emacs frame apparently, so it really shouldn't be
peddled as a solution for the mess that electric indent produces in many
modes when you're pasting stuff in (in my case most often via the middle
mouse button).  It works by pre- and post-fixing anything pasted into
the terminal by an escape sequence, so maybe there is a way to emulate
it somehow for GUI frames, but if there is, I can't find an explanation
of how to turn that feature on and off.

Another prominent example where electric indent shouldn't be active by
default is diff-mode, btw.  Even if I would agree to the general default
of having it on -- I don't, because the cleanup it requires when going
wrong is more tedious than what it saves me otherwise -- that should be
reason enough to provide some way of temporarily switching it off for
operations where you already know it won't work.  Since you often
realize too late that it will interfere, it would be even more helpful
if you could have some function that removes any indent that was
electrically added.

Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Factory and User Sound Singles for Waldorf Q+, Q and microQ:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSounds