Subject: Re: bug#22564: Fundamental mode isn't fundamental enough.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Feb 2016 11:21:10 -0000

Hello, Mark.

In article <[email-masked]> you wrote:

> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> No, it's a deliberate feature, AFAIU.

>> You mean, there should no longer be a vanilla fundamental mode?  I would
>> argue that no "helpful" electric modes should be enabled in FM.  At the
>> moment, it appears, we are lacking a What-You-Do-Is-What-You-Get mode.

>> I think electric-*-modes should be disabled in FM unless explicitly
>> enabled by the user in an FM buffer.  We've become far too "clever" with
>> all these facilities.

> electric-indent-mode is the only electric-*-mode on by default, and I
> never understood why it was enabled. Up until bracketed paste was
> implemented, this issue of indenting pastes had been an annoyance (only
> later on did I realize to disable this electric mode).

What is "bracketed paste"?  The term appears only in xterm.el, but that
file doesn't say what it is.

I still think it's a bug that a standard OS paste operation doesn't work
out of the box in a non-specialised buffer.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).