Subject: bug#22564: Fundamental mode isn't fundamental enough.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Feb 2016 11:06:01 -0000

In article <[email-masked]> you wrote:
>> >> electric-indent-mode is the only electric-*-mode on by default, and I
>> >> never understood why it was enabled. Up until bracketed paste was
>> >> implemented, this issue of indenting pastes had been an annoyance (only
>> >> later on did I realize to disable this electric mode).
>> >
>> > I agree.  I disabled it as soon as I encountered it, but I disagree
>> > that users should be subjected to it by default.  Especially in
>> > Fundamental mode.
>> 
>> +1.  Fundamental mode should be Notepad-like as much as possible IMHO.
>> (Incidentally, I almost never use Fundamental mode, exactly because of
>> that.)

> Fundamental mode is not really supposed to be used by users
> interactively, AFAIK.  It should not even have the functionality
> of Notepad.  It is used as an empty inheritance point for other
> modes.  It is the "bottom" of modes. ;-)

I think fundamental mode existed long before derived modes did.  To say
it shouldn't be used directly by users is a bit strange, IMAO.  I use it
fairly often, e.g. when I'm testing, and I want to clear out buffer local
variables from some buffer, or to re-initialise font locking, or
something like that.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).