Subject: bug#22564: Fundamental mode isn't fundamental enough.

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 19:08:36 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > As far as I could see,  it did not change anything.
  > > So I tried again in emacs -Q, and I saw it indented the
  > > following line.

  > Are you customizing the command bound to RET in your init files?

I can't see any sign that it does that, but I guess it does something
pertinent though I can't tell what.

Anyway, the thing to document is the emacs -Q behavior.

  > Indenting the following line is the expected default behavior, yes.

I think the documentation of Electric Indent mode should say that that
is what it does in modes that don't alter the behavior.  That's explicit.
Why not?

  > > Maybe.  But I do think the term "reindent" needs to be explined
  > > somewhere in the Emacs manual.

  > If all we need to say is that reindent means to remove any indentation
  > and then indent the line according to context and major mode's rules,
  > that's simple enough.

I think that's correct.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)