Subject: bug#22564: Fundamental mode isn't fundamental enough.

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 19:20:54 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

    > As a simple example, try this in fundamental mode, on an empty line:

    >   C-u 10 SPC C-u 10 x RET

As far as I could see,  it did not change anything.
So I tried again in emacs -Q, and I saw it indented the
following line.

  > Nevertheless, if we describe better what the newline and similar
  > characters do in electric-indent-mode, that would cover Fundamental as
  > well,

If the description of thoe characters' default behavior is concrete enough,
I think it would do the job.

  > I don't know.  But I think it is better to say that this mode
  > automatically indents the current line according to the context (the
  > surrounding lines) and the rules of the major mode.  After all, the
  > mode's name is "Electric Indent mode", not "Electric Reindent mode".

Maybe.  But I do think the term "reindent" needs to be explined
somewhere in the Emacs manual.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)