Subject: Re: bug#22564: Fundamental mode isn't fundamental enough.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 15:13:27 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 04:46:09PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 12:55:59 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> > 
> > I've just tried to paste some text into a fundamental mode buffer, using
> > GNU/Linux's GPM mouse utility.  It gets fouled up by some facility that
> > decides I want some automatic indentation, despite being in fundamental
> > mode.  As far as I understand, GPM does pasting by effectively typing a
> > character at a time.

> You want to turn off electric-indent-mode, I think.

Sort of.  But this is beyond the capabilities of a newby (discovering
that, I mean).

> > This is surely a bug.

> No, it's a deliberate feature, AFAIU.

You mean, there should no longer be a vanilla fundamental mode?  I would
argue that no "helpful" electric modes should be enabled in FM.  At the
moment, it appears, we are lacking a What-You-Do-Is-What-You-Get mode.

I think electric-*-modes should be disabled in FM unless explicitly
enabled by the user in an FM buffer.  We've become far too "clever" with
all these facilities.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).