Subject: 25.0.90; dired alphabetic sort of listing handles leading '.' strangely on MS Windows

From: Kevin Gallagher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 18:10:28 -0600

In M.S. Windows 7, Started Emacs with

C:\emacs-25.0.90\bin\runemacs.exe -Q

Entered <C-x> <C-f> <RET>

The following listing of my home directory looks as follows

c:/kg:
   total used in directory 210 available 150000864
   drwxrwxrwx  1 TrustedInstaller TrustedInstaller 24576 02-03 13:31 ..
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None             12288 02-04 17:28 .
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None              1835 2012-02-01  
.aliases~
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None              1893 2014-04-14  
.aliases
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2005-07-09  
.autosave
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None              8231 01-31 15:31 
.bash_history
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None               263 2011-06-27  .bashrc
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2014-04-14  
bin-save
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None              1404 2014-06-30  
.edt-gnu-W32-keys
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None              1409 2014-04-13  
.edt-gnu-W32-keys-save
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None             44241 2007-12-12  
edt-user.doc
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2013-05-19  emacs
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None              6438 2012-05-02  .emacs
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2012-05-13  
.emacs.d
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None              6103 2011-07-25  
.emacs-indent-4
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None                 7 2007-12-09  
.emacs-places
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None             34540 2001-09-03  
filladapt.el
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2005-12-23  .fvwm
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2014-03-14  
Game Stuff
   drwxrwxrwx  1 Administrators   None                 0 12-06 09:58 
.gimp-2.8
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None               188 2005-09-21  
.history
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2013-07-23  lisp
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None              4096 2013-07-23  .lisp
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2012-05-13  
Magueijo
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None              3632 2014-04-15  
message-20140415-140728
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None              2725 02-04 17:33 
#message-20160204-172757#
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None               195 2011-08-23  
.profile~
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None               111 2014-05-24  
.profile
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None             35820 2005-07-03  RMAIL
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None              1024 2008-11-30  .rnd
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2012-12-19  
.save-env
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None               125 2005-07-09  
.saves-2304-janus
   drwxrwxrwx  1 Administrators   None                 0 2014-04-14  share
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None               134 2014-04-15  
stuff.sh~
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None               135 2014-04-15  
stuff.sh
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2009-04-15  TempSBE
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2012-05-13  .texmf
   drwxrwxrwx  1 Administrators   None                 0 2015-08-02  
.thumbnails
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None             14000 2013-05-26  
videos.docx
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None              4928 2013-05-26  
videos.txt
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None              3672 2012-10-06  
vids.txt
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None               554 2005-11-18  .xdvirc
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2013-07-23  .xemacs

In Emacs 24.5, the listing of the same directory looks like this:

c:/kg:
   total used in directory 210 available 150000864
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh None             12288 02-04 17:28 .
   drwxrwxrwx  1 TrustedInstaller TrustedInstaller 24576 02-03 13:31 ..
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None              1893 2014-04-14  
.aliases
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None              1835 2012-02-01  
.aliases~
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2005-07-09  
.autosave
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None              8231 01-31 15:31 
.bash_history
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None               263 2011-06-27  .bashrc
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None              1404 2014-06-30  
.edt-gnu-W32-keys
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None              1409 2014-04-13  
.edt-gnu-W32-keys-save
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None              6438 2012-05-02  .emacs
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None              6103 2011-07-25  
.emacs-indent-4
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None                 7 2007-12-09  
.emacs-places
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2012-05-13  
.emacs.d
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2005-12-23  .fvwm
   drwxrwxrwx  1 Administrators   None                 0 12-06 09:58 
.gimp-2.8
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None               188 2005-09-21  
.history
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None              4096 2013-07-23  .lisp
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None               111 2014-05-24  
.profile
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None               195 2011-08-23  
.profile~
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None              1024 2008-11-30  .rnd
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2012-12-19  
.save-env
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None               125 2005-07-09  
.saves-2304-janus
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2012-05-13  .texmf
   drwxrwxrwx  1 Administrators   None                 0 2015-08-02  
.thumbnails
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None               554 2005-11-18  .xdvirc
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2013-07-23  .xemacs
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2014-03-14  
Game Stuff
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2012-05-13  
Magueijo
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None             35820 2005-07-03  RMAIL
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2009-04-15  TempSBE
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2014-04-14  
bin-save
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None             44241 2007-12-12  
edt-user.doc
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2013-05-19  emacs
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None             34540 2001-09-03  
filladapt.el
   drwxrwxrwx  1 kgallagh         None                 0 2013-07-23  lisp
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None              3632 2014-04-15  
message-20140415-140728
   drwxrwxrwx  1 Administrators   None                 0 2014-04-14  share
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None               135 2014-04-15  
stuff.sh
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None               134 2014-04-15  
stuff.sh~
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None             14000 2013-05-26  
videos.docx
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrators   None              4928 2013-05-26  
videos.txt
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 kgallagh         None              3672 2012-10-06  
vids.txt

I believe the listing in Emacs 24.5 is preferable. It 25.0.90, it is as 
if the initial period in any file/directory entry is being ignored when 
sorting alphabetically. Also, upper and lower case are also being ignored.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.90.2 (i686-pc-mingw32)
  of 2016-01-31 built on JANUS3
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/c/emacs-25.0.90 CPPFLAGS=-I/c/usr/include'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF SOUND NOTIFY ACL TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: ENU
   locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
mail-prsvr mail-utils dired time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 91893 10306)
  (symbols 32 19566 0)
  (miscs 32 40 181)
  (strings 16 16515 3771)
  (string-bytes 1 437792)
  (vectors 8 12386)
  (vector-slots 4 426311 4428)
  (floats 8 160 112)
  (intervals 28 782 407)
  (buffers 516 12))