Subject: bug#22550: (require 'magit) produces error: "no such file or directory" "dash"

From: myglc2 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 23:15:47 -0500

with magit installed on guixSD following the config shown further below.

With init.el containing ...

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
(add-to-list 'load-path "/run/current-system/profile/share/emacs/site-lisp")
(require 'guix-init nil t)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(require 'magit)

... generates this traceback ...

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "no such file or directory" "dash")
  require(dash)
  byte-code("\300\301!\210\300\302!\210\300\303!\210\300\304!\210\300\305!\210\300\306!\210\300\307!\210\300\310!\210\300\311!\210\300\312\313\314#\207" [require cl-lib dash with-editor git-commit magit-core magit-diff magit-apply magit-log format-spec package nil t] 4)
  require(magit)
  eval((require (quote magit)) nil)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Adding emac-dash to config.h.scm does not change the behavior.

config.h.scm:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
;; This is an operating system configuration template
;; for a "bare bones" setup, with no X11 display server.

(use-modules (gnu))
(use-service-modules networking ssh)
(use-package-modules admin)
(use-package-modules disk) ;; parted
(use-package-modules ssh rsync wget screen)
(use-package-modules version-control) ;; git git-manpages
(use-package-modules emacs) ;; emacs magit

(operating-system
  (host-name "g1")
  (timezone "America/New_York")
  (locale "en_US.utf8")

  (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))
  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device "g1sd")
                        (title 'label)
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4"))
                      %base-file-systems))

  (users (cons* (user-account
                (name "glc")
                (comment "g l c")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel"))
		(home-directory "/home/glc"))

  	  (user-account
                (name "glc2")
                (comment "glc2")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel"))
                (home-directory "/home/glc2"))

	  (user-account
                (name "glc3")
                (comment "glc3")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel"))
                (home-directory "/home/glc3"))
	  
  	  (user-account
                (name "glc4")
                (comment "glc4")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel"))
                (home-directory "/home/glc4"))

	  %base-user-accounts))

  (packages (cons*
	     glibc-utf8-locales
	     parted
	     openssh
	     rsync
	     wget
	     screen
	     emacs
	     git git-manpages magit
	     %base-packages
	     )
	    )

  (services (cons* (dhcp-client-service)
                   (lsh-service #:port-number 22)
                   %base-services)))
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

root@g1 ~# guix pull

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.hPsZb9
>From http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/snapshot/master.tar.gz...
 master.tar.gz                               2.4MiB/s 00:04 | 9.8MiB transferred
unpacking '/gnu/store/dfil8xc2l55xs5zjvs5mvrji4m97vnn9-guix-latest.tar.gz'...
substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'http://hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
The following derivation will be built:
   /gnu/store/nmiak10q4fbax0n06qypgp0m1p7y084i-guix-latest.drv
building path(s) `/gnu/store/wsygn2xxms6fmqv2xwjqgmkr58466icr-guix-latest'
copying and compiling to '/gnu/store/wsygn2xxms6fmqv2xwjqgmkr58466icr-guix-latest'...
loading...	 23.3% of 481 filesrandom seed for tests: 1454557452
loading...	 99.8% of 481 files
compiling...	 98.3% of 481 files
updated GNU Guix successfully deployed under `/root/.config/guix/latest'
root@g1 ~# guix system reconfigure config.h.scm
substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'http://hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/wa37n1m89692sh17d5m1rpknkjbajh2r-system.drv
   /gnu/store/l2xhcir48mr0hbbn142lbbl45z3xnfnj-grub.cfg.drv
   /gnu/store/q993gpnzkfh00d56q5l57112nl127b99-shells.drv
   /gnu/store/nn89w1fcrnw10ikmqak3jnmflqv8z9ja-ca-certificate-bundle.drv
   /gnu/store/dxdxlq2x5pcnjx44cas2g3p4zh6569jz-gtk-icon-themes.drv
   /gnu/store/9qk8g4hcqks3lwyacy328zdhxmzmxnyq-info-dir.drv
   /gnu/store/jhbmd42vqb2jbvcxh3rli4xrzamlgdcd-profile.drv
   /gnu/store/xf6m2i96hrmw1hssjc71w4g2swqw587a-activate-service.drv
   /gnu/store/12bmphpb3skk6fn18mahza2dbh7chm8f-activate-service.drv
   /gnu/store/qghfckfm59s62y1y4imvlfvzacl7xg12-activate.drv
   /gnu/store/d74b89jil0aclla1yp6mm53x3yd8dprp-boot.drv
   /gnu/store/xgz9xh1r8ajzqrhd4dxks8dmrxqvazs3-etc.drv
/gnu/store/ddcfyn63vnkx78fw7jii92ndrvh1bf6w-system
/gnu/store/a1dn41j0bzy5sd66a69x0j67vcpyxgr3-grub.cfg
/gnu/store/83bx8wsdhh2adn03b10dm20j74gv0kyq-grub-2.00
activating system...
setting up setuid programs in '/run/setuid-programs'...
populating /etc from /gnu/store/y008yk2vd41vgxfmbzs4xygmiwwx4n7p-etc...
usermod: no changes
usermod: no changes
adding user 'glc2'...
usermod: no changes
making '/gnu/store/ddcfyn63vnkx78fw7jii92ndrvh1bf6w-system' the current system...
Installation finished. No error reported.
root@g1 ~# exit
exit

Process shell finished