Subject: bug#22549: 25.0.50; Tooltips placed outside of screen limits

From: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 19:52:50 +0100

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

> But ‘x_display_pixel_height’ returns the value of 'HeightOfScreen' which
> is what we need for the one monitor case.

Ok.

> My concern was less that ‘x-display-monitor-attributes-list’ would not
> assign a value to max_y.  My concern was that that value could be wrong.
>
> Anyway.  Better install your initial patch then.  It's cleaner and we'll
> see soon enough whether it causes any problems.

My initial patch is not better because it doesn't protect against the
possible lack of information on x-display-monitor-attributes-list you
mentioned above and on your previous e-mail. If that structure has not
the correct geometry info about the current monitor, the variables
max/min_x/y are guaranteed to be wrong. My last patch provides some
protection against that circunstance, so I'll feel better committing it.

(BTW, the path is basically yours, not mine. I just corrected some
issues but the 90% was written by you, so I'll feel a bit uneasy taking
credit for it.)

>>> And just to make sure: Can we rely on the fact that XQueryPointer always
>>> gives reliable results with multiple monitors and its present arguments?
>>
>> Dunno. I know nothing about X Windows.
>
> Have you tried with a frame that spans both monitors?

Just tried. It seems to work fine: for a frame that spawns both
monitors, the tooltip is correctly positioned taking into account the
coordinates of the mouse cursor and the geometry of the corresponding
monitor.