Subject: bug#22548: Kernel panic after system reconfiguration

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 17:14:02 -0500

Albin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi again,
>
> I got rid of the kernel panic by removing the following from the config
> and reconfiguring (as suggested by Mark Weaver):
>
>> (swap-devices '("/swapfile"))
>
> It would be nice to be able to enable swap again though. On my system it
> needs to be done with a swap file.

I suspect this never worked, but that before the error was silently
ignored.  In my case, I had:

  (swap-devices '("/dev/disk/by-label/jojen-swap"))

and /dev/disk went away at some point due to another problem.  For a
long time, I simply had no swap.  With the dmd -> shepherd transition,
it started causing a fatal error during boot, leading to a kernel panic.
Unfortunately, the error message scrolled off the screen very quickly,
obscured by a useless kernel backtrace.

      Mark