Subject: bug#22548: Kernel panic after system reconfiguration

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 23:05:18 +0100

Albin <[email-masked]> skribis:

> With no other changes I just ran guix pull and guix system reconfigure
> on my MacBook2,1 which created an unbootable system.
>
> After having completed the reconfiguration I tried to halt and reboot
> the system but got this error message each time :
>
>> error: connect: /var/run/shepherd/socket: file or directory does not exist
>
> I did a hard shutdown and rebooted.

Apologies, that’s the aftermath of the dmd → shepherd transition.

The solution was to run /run/booted-system/profile/sbin/reboot, which
would have been able to the running dmd (whereas after reconfiguration,
‘reboot’ was the new Shepherd client, which cannot talk to the old dmd.)

> Here is a picture of the kernel panic screen:
> https://lut.im/h3kmF9hN8D/pnbWoVVQWj7QYPkr.jpg
>
> This is my system configuration:
> http://paste.lisp.org/display/306452
>
> The OS was quite bootable after my last reconfiguration on January 26.

I don’t see anything immediately obvious.  I tried your config in ‘guix
system vm’ and it works fine, so perhaps the problem has to do with
device mapping or similar.

How did you set up the encrypted root partition?  Did you use ‘guix
system reconfigure --no-grub’ and a hand-made grub.cfg?

Thanks,
Ludo’.