Subject: bug#22543: 404 in Manualpage

From: Alex Kost <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 14:15:13 +0300

Nils Gillmann (2016-02-03 16:41 +0300) wrote:

> The manual page
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Requirements.html#Requirements
>
> contains a link to
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/gnutls-guile/Guile-Preparations.html#Guile-Preparations
>
> which give a 404. I am not familiar with what's supposed to be there, a
> quick search for "gnutls-guile/Guile-Preparations.html" in duckduckgo gives me
> http://www.gnutls.org/manual/gnutls-guile/Guile-Preparations.html as one
> of 2 results.
>
> Should I fix the link to this one and send in a patch?

I don't think you can send a patch for this.  According to
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/>:

  (This page generated by the gendocs.sh¹ script.)

This "gendocs.sh" uses "texi2html" to convert our texinfo documentation
(see "doc/guix.texi" in the guix git repo) to the html page.  In
"guix.texi" the link you are talking about is a usual link to the
"gnutls-guile" manual.  I didn't look at "texi2html" but I believe by
default it just assumes that all the manuals are placed at
"www.gnu.org/software/<package>/manual/", so for "external" manuals the
generated links are false.  For example, there are also wrong links to
Geiser and Magit-Popup manuals.

So I think it's a general thing for all generated manuals that are
placed on "gnu.org".

¹ http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/plain/build-aux/gendocs.sh

-- 
Alex