Subject: Re: bug#22539: 25.1.50; C-x o should switch to *Completions*

From: Helmut Eller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 09:24:04 +0100

On Wed, Feb 03 2016, martin rudalics wrote:

>> 1) start Emacs with: emacs -Q -f find-file
>> 2) press TAB two times so that the *Completions* buffer
>>     becomes visible
>> 3) press C-x o
>>
>> the window with the *scratch* buffer is selected.
>>
>> It would be more convenient if C-x o in step 3 would switch to the
>> *Completions* buffer.
>
> The basic idea behind C-x o is that it cycles through all live windows
> before returning to the initially selected one.  We could, in your
> special case, have ‘other-window’ select ‘other-window-for-scrolling’.
> But if we do so, we have to face the dilemma that the next C-x o gets us
> immediately back to the minibuffer window.  This means that all other
> windows would get excluded from repeated invocations of C-x o.
>
> So I'm afraid that I cannot offer a practicable solution for this :-(

No big deal.  I only noticed this because I had more than two windows
before doing a completion and in that case one has to type C-x o a lot
to to get to the *Completions* window.

A somewhat related question: Is there a command that cycles through the
windows in opposite direction as C-x o does?  I noticed that
<C-iso-lefttab> is not bound by default so I could use that.

Helmut