Subject: Re: bug#22534: File notify broken on Windows

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 20:24:32 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> The solution is to call read-event while renaming the files.  Then I
> could go back to 1000 renames without failures.
>
> Michael, is there a reason not to issue those additional calls to
> read-event on other platforms?  If necessary, those calls could be
> made conditional on MS-Windows.

No, it's OK also for the other backends. This might make the test even
more robust.

> Here's the proposed patch.  Fabrice, please see if this works for you
> (the full test runs for about 7 minutes, so be patient).  Btw, we
> could make the test run faster by lowering the 0.1 argument to the 2
> read-event calls while we create the 2000 files at the beginning of
> the test, I see no need for waiting that long for a single file
> creation.

Well, the two Tramp backends aren't such fast. That's why I use a 0.1
sec timeout for all read-event calls. Maybe we could introduce a
defconst for this, setting it to 0.02 for local backends, and to 0.1 for
remote backends.

Please install the patch; I'll test it then for the other 5 backends
next days.

Best regards, Michael.