Subject: Re: bug#22534: File notify broken on Windows

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2016 18:18:59 +0100

Fabrice Popineau <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

> I have tried with different values of file-notify--test-timeout but it
> doesn't seem to make any difference. I also boosted the size of the
> file_notifications[] array (* 16) without any difference. I have
> tested with sit-for between each rename operation and it does not work
> either above 260 files

Is it worth to continue to look for the problem in w32notify? I would simply
set the loop limit there to 250, that's it.

file-notify-test06-many-events is a stress test. Originally, Wolfgang
Jenkner proposed it with 10.000 iterations - that was *really* much too
long.

[Eli]

>     (To tell the truth, I'm not sure what is the purpose of that test:
>     AFAIK, none of the available notification back-ends ever promised
>     not to lose events, so what are we testing here? Perhaps Michael
>     can explain.)

As said, it was intended as stress test. But we are free to adapt it to
the limitations of the underlying backend.

> Fabrice

Best regards, Michael.