Subject: Re: bug#22533: Python bytecode reproducibility

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 14:28:49 +0100

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> writes:

> The only remark I have is: is introducing a new variable necessary?
> SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH implies that the user wants a deterministic build;
> the upstream patch doesn't actually honor it outside of making the
> hashing method deterministic.  So, I think it might be enough to just
> test for SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH instead of DETERMINISTIC_BUILD.  The former
> is also already set in the build environment.

> However, I just noticed that you unset DETERMINISTIC_BUILD before the
> 'check' phase.  Did it break more things?

Yes, it broke a bunch of tests that are all about recompiling files when
they are considered stale.

> I suppose we'll have to set PYTHONHASHSEED somewhere in
> python-build-system as well.  Did you check if that makes a difference
> for numpy?  Perhaps it's enough to set it if we add an auto-compilation
> step?

Right, I’m going to test this with numpy now.  Thanks for the hint!

-- 
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net