Subject: 25.0.90; Updating packages seems to be broken

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 18:23:16 -0400

After upgrade to the pre-test of Emacs 25, updating of packages seems to
be broken.

For several years, for my system at least, package update has been as
simple as:

    M-x list-packages RET
    U                      ; (package-menu-mark-upgrades)
    x                      ; (package-menu-execute)

This no longer seems to work. Instead, I get the message:

    Unsigned file ‘org-20160201.tar’ at http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/

There is no other message or indication of what has happened, but it
looks like the package-menu-execute command is silently aborting -- at
least, after waiting a while, nothing further seems to happen.

I tried removing the install mark (the `I' in the left margin) for
org to see if I could get my other packages to update at least, but this
leads to the message:

    Delete package ‘org-20151123’; and Upgrade these 2 packages (auctex-11.89.1, debbugs-0.9)? (y or n)

This message makes no sense: I don't want to delete org just because I
can't update it. Naturally I answered `n' to the prompt. But now things
are stuck in a limbo where I can't update any packages.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.90.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.7)
 of 2016-01-31 built on moondust
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11800000
System Description:	Fedora release 23 (Twenty Three)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/nlj/local/ --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3 -ggdb''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
Mark set [2 times]
next-line: End of buffer
Auto-saving...done
next-line: End of buffer
Auto-saving...done
next-line: End of buffer
Saving file /home/nlj/bug-reports.txt...
Wrote /home/nlj/bug-reports.txt

Load-path shadows:
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-gnuplot hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-eshell hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ox-md hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ox-md
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-shen hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-shen
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-timer hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-ruby hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ox hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ox
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ox-html hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ox-html
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-latex hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-archive hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-org hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-install hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-install
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ox-latex hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ox-latex
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-sass hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ox-icalendar hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-screen hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-bibtex hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-footnote hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-datetree hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-colview hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-attach hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-mouse hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-dot hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-scala hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-scala
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-compat hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-core hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-core
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-awk hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-makefile hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-macro hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-macro
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-ctags hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-capture hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ox-beamer hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-mobile hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-indent hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-lilypond hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-asymptote hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ox-odt hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ox-odt
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-w3m hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-plantuml hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-table hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-ocaml hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-crypt hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-js hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-clojure hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-haskell hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-version hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-version
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-scheme hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-table hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-table
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-C hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-ledger hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-fortran hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-sql hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-loaddefs hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-list hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-list
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-lisp hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-docview hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-eval hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-element hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-element
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ox-ascii hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-info hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-info
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-css hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-rmail hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-irc hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-tangle hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-ditaa hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-feed hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-clock hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-habit hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-pcomplete hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-entities hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-io hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-io
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-octave hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-faces hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-perl hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-src hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-src
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-protocol hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ox-man hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ox-man
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-python hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-mscgen hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ox-texinfo hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-exp hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-inlinetask hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ox-publish hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ox-publish
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-java hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-sqlite hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-mhe hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ox-org hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ox-org
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-R hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-lob hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-picolisp hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-agenda hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-matlab hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-gnus hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-macs hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-id hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-id
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-keys hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-comint hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-ref hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-bbdb hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-calc hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-emacs-lisp hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/ob-maxima hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/nlj/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20151123/org-plot hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/org/org-plot
~/.emacs.d/modules/emms/lisp/tq hides /data/projects/vc/emacs/emacs-25.0.90/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow emacsbug url-handlers flow-fill eieio-opt speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe gnus-fun url-http url-gw url-auth url-queue bbdb-message
sendmail nnir shr-color color shr seq dom subr-x mm-archive gnus-html
browse-url xml url-cache mm-url smiley gnus-cite gnus-bcklg gnus-async
qp mail-extr gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh utf-7 epa-file epa derived
network-stream nsm starttls nnfolder bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua nnnil gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs sieve-mode view flyspell ispell sage sage-load rx
emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser sort
emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq
emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
cconv eieio-core url-vars emms-streams emms-tag-editor emms-mark
emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-info
later-do emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat compile navi-mode outshine outorg
org-contacts cl-seq org-capture gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime password-cache dig mailcap gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc
nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message cl-macs rfc822 mml
mml-sec epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils mm-util help-fns help-mode mail-prsvr cl gv org-rmail org-mhe
org-irc org-info org-gnus gnus-util org-docview doc-view jka-compr
image-mode dired org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-element avl-tree org-w3m
org-agenda org advice org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys
ob-comint comint ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func bbdb-anniv diary-lib diary-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site
timezone bbdb-loaddefs finder-inf tex-site info package epg-config
edmacro kmacro recentf tree-widget wid-edit easymenu battery time
saveplace wheatgrass-theme delsel paren savehist elec-pair desktop
frameset cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib cua-base cus-start cus-load time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 762987 170002)
 (symbols 48 103423 0)
 (miscs 40 3848 6048)
 (strings 32 182709 18791)
 (string-bytes 1 9111629)
 (vectors 16 58057)
 (vector-slots 8 1685938 79062)
 (floats 8 774 1282)
 (intervals 56 48179 341)
 (buffers 976 95)
 (heap 1024 105574 19267))