Subject: Re: bug#22526: 25.0.90; Crash starting gnus

From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 21:20:06 +0000

On Thu 11 Feb 2016, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 02:06:54 +0000
>> 
>> Hopefully this is of some use.
>
> It is, thanks.  The plot thickens...  This is one of those cases where
> I'd give anything for a way to trace execution in reverse and see what
> happened before the problem...
>
> Anyway, is that GDB session still running?

Sadly not.

> Btw, it sounds like it should be easy to reproduce this almost at
> will, since the two backtraces are almost identical -- they both show
> the same insertion of a 4096 byte string into a buffer by the default
> process filter that reads stuff received from the news server.  Could
> you perhaps try coming up with such a reproducer, starting from
> "emacs -Q"?  That would make the debugging much more efficient.

If it was easy to reproduce then it ought to be easier with gnus
(assuming the same initial file contents), but it happens only rarely.

I think this crash may have involved gnus restoring auto-save data after
a prior emacs session had been killed.

    AndyM