Subject: Re: bug#22511: [request] Add "--preserve-setuid" to the chown command

From: William Di Luigi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 10:32:43 +0100

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 9:20 AM, Erik Auerswald
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> How about using "install" to install files, setting owner and mode bits
> in one go?

Mmm I guess it's just that, since I'm packaging an already existing
software, I'd like to patch it as little as possible. In fact, the
Makefile for this software already sets the setuid bit on the file
that needs it. I only need to change the group of that file (and thus
I need to run the chown command on it). However, since chown removes
the setuid bit, I have to "add it back" in the packaging script.

It doesn't make much of a difference, since I can just do chown and
chmod (as I currently do). However, if the proposed flag is
implemented, I can avoid "adding back" the setuid bit and thus I can
simplify the packaging script (well, not by much, I would remove just
2 lines: the chmod line and the bash comment explaining why the chmod
is there).

--
William