Subject: Re: bug#22494: still can't search for two spaces

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 15:15:55 +0100

>>   > What is in the search string is a search pattern.  How it is
>>   > interpreted is the question.
>>
>> Right.  And I am proposing a way to interpret part of it.  Namely,
>> two spaces in a row means to match two spaces in the buffer.
>
> But if you isearch-yank them they should be normalized so that they
> continue to do lax matching.

Quoting from [1]:

  IMO, Emacs should refrain from making permanent changes to the search
  string, as given by the user.  IOW, the search string should be kept
  untouched, and any transformations of it should be done "on the fly"
  to achieve the intended behavior, based on both the _current_ search
  string and the _current_ user options that govern the search behavior.

  That way, if/when either the search string or the user options
  changes, Emacs will be able to exhibit the expected behavior.

IOW, I don't think that normalization is a good idea.

But I agree with you that two (or more) consecutive spaces should
be treated specially _only_ if they were *typed* by the user (not
yanked from the kill ring or grabbed from the buffer)

---
Dani Moncayo

[1] http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16546#43