Subject: bug#22493: 25.1.50; open-gnutls-stream doesn't respect :nowait, so the connections are synchronous

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 18:57:41 +1100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> That is only true if the foreground program has something useful to do
> while TLS negotiation goes on.  You have a very particular application
> in mind (a browser) where you can just let user scroll through the
> rest of the buffer

Yes, that's the use case these changes are for.

> IOW, your changes might make sense for some small set of applications,
> but for the others it's just a major complication in the code base
> with no real gains.
>
> We shouldn't make such major changes in low-level code when they
> benefit only a small class of applications, IMO.

Well, web browsers and news and mail readers aren't a small class of
applications when it comes to the network layer.  They are the majority
of the applications.  :-)  Having rmail pause Emacs while it's fetching
HTML assets, while you just want to go to the next message, is not good
user interface design.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no