Subject: bug#19304: closed (Re: bug#22481: 25.1.50; vc-hg: emacs "deadlocks" after using hg with huge amounts of ignored files in the repo)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 04:01:03 +0000

Your bug report

#22481: 25.0.50; vc-dir hangs forever

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22481: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22481
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22481: 25.1.50; vc-hg: emacs "deadlocks" after using hg with huge amounts of ignored files in the repo
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Jan Synacek <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 07:00:28 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 25.1

> - Press 'g' there. See the ignored files show up.

Should be fixed in 06083cf now. Thanks again, closing.

Subject: 25.0.50; vc-dir hangs forever
From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 08:47:57 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I do C-x v d ~ RET (C-x v d runs the command vc-dir), I get the
buffer and the message "running hg status -mardui -C . in background"
and the *vc-dir* buffer never actually becomes usable.

This behavior started relatively recently (within the last couple of
weeks).

My home directory is under hg and many subtrees are ignored:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ time hg status -mardui -C . | cut -f1 -d' ' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n'
   1 A
   5 M
  19 ?
185661 I

real	0m11.587s
user	0m10.745s
sys	0m1.103s
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

as you see, the hg command completes fast but emacs, apparently, chokes
on the 180k ignored files.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.9 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.0.0, NS appkit-1343.16 Version 10.10.1 (Build 14B25))
 of 2014-12-08 on sds-MacBook-Pro.local
Repository revision: 7fb8fc35ebf980ed299ce9dfd1694fa0f1ea169b
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1343
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns'

Configured features:
IMAGEMAGICK ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Spell-checking region using aspell with default dictionary...
Exited spell-checking
Sending...
Mark set [2 times]
Sending via mail...
Type "q" in help window to delete it.
Sending email 
Sending email done
gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
Sending...done
next-line: End of buffer [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(help-mode gnutls smtpmail ispell cl-indent pp shadow sort bbdb-message
mailalias cookie1 mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win skeleton emacsbug message rfc822
mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs
vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs disp-table network-stream nsm starttls tls
time-stamp ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util ediff misearch multi-isearch tramp-cache mule-util
tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver remember
bug-reference add-log sh-script smie dired-aux python json pig-mode
vc-hg make-mode view noutline outline vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dir
ewoc vc vc-dispatcher package epg-config dired midnight warnings gnus
gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev
bbdb-loaddefs bbdb bbdb-site timezone rcirc server which-func imenu
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-macs eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars paren help-at-pt desktop frameset cus-start
cus-load ido ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt browse-url ess-menu
ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d
ess-sas-l ess-sas-a shell pcomplete ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs
make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp3-d ess-julia ess-r-d compile ess-tracebug
format-spec ess-roxy advice help-fns hideshow ess-help ess-developer
ess-r-args ess-s-l ess ess-inf comint ansi-color ring ess-mode
ess-noweb-mode ess-utils ess-custom executable easymenu ess-compat
ess-site cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2340516 126226)
 (symbols 48 65311 0)
 (miscs 40 101868 767)
 (strings 32 286040 38685)
 (string-bytes 1 13454818)
 (vectors 16 148643)
 (vector-slots 8 1800520 46530)
 (floats 8 612 1030)
 (intervals 56 578435 12684)
 (buffers 976 60))

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1343
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://americancensorship.org
http://mideasttruth.com http://honestreporting.com http://iris.org.il
People hear what they want to hear and discard the rest.