Subject: bug#22476: Uninstall

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 09:45:43 -0700

On 01/27/2016 03:05 AM, crispin sparg wrote:
> Hi GNU Team

[In the future, please don't post 300k screenshots to a mailing list
that reaches hundreds of people - it causes an explosion of bandwidth in
the mail server, and not all recipients have unlimited data plans; if
you absolutely must use an image, post the image externally and just
include a URL to the image in your mail]

> I hope you can help me. I have had a tech from a ISP tell me to install gzip. now we can't uninstall it. 
> Please tell me how I can uninstall gzip.

You didn't tell us HOW you installed it (built from source? downloaded a
pre-built binary?), so it's kind of hard to give exact steps for
uninstalling it.  You didn't even tell us what operating system you use.

Generally, uninstalling gzip is as simple as finding the files you
installed and deleting them. If you built from source, 'make uninstall'.
 If you ran a package manager, then use that same package manager to
uninstall it (although that may be a question better directed to your
distro's support for using their package manager).  But gzip is
relatively small, and in all likelihood will come in handy on your
system in the future; do you really need to uninstall it at all, if it
is not actively hurting your disk space?

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org