Subject: Re: bug#22472: 25.0.50; org-mode: latex fragments can't be un-rendered after a revert

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2016 23:10:35 +0100

Hello,

Dima Kogan <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ah. Thanks for explaining. The patch helps somewhat, but one can still
> get into an inconsistent state:
>
>   1. Write \(1 + 2\)
>   2. Toggle overlay with C-c C-x C-l
>   3. M-x revert-buffer
>
> After the revert, the overlay remains, which is arguably OK, since the
> text has not changed. However after the revert org doesn't realize that
> the overlay is still up: org-latex-fragment-image-overlays is nil.

Indeed. 

`org-latex-fragment-image-overlays' is a local variable and
`revert-buffer' calls `normal-mode', which, in turn, calls
`fundamental-mode'. The latter calls `kill-all-local-variables'.
Information is lost.

I don't think that `org-latex-fragment-image-overlays' is useful,
anyway. So I removed it, along with that bug, hopefully.

> I think the overlays should all disappear on a revert.

I'm not convinced that an unmodified overlay should disappear.

Thank you for the report.

Regards,

-- 
Nicolas Goaziou