Subject: bug#22471: ert batch should print compile parsable error messages

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 14:57:40 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> I got the following backtrace, but gave up after looking at it for a
> while:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Don’t know where
> ‘fns-tests-string-bytes’ is defin...")
>   signal(error ("Don’t know where ‘fns-tests-string-bytes’ is defin..."))

Well -- ert-deftest doesn't record what file it's from, I think?
Looking at the definition, it just adds the test to the symbol-plist.
So that macro would also have to stash the file name somewhere.
load-history would be possible (but sounds unclean), so stashing it in
the symbol-plist would be better.

Then find-definition-noselect could be extended to use that for this
type.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no