Subject: 24.5; Doc "Delete Selection Mode"

From: "B.V. Raghav" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 16:57:42 +0530

This is a documentation enhancement request:

Where: (emacs)Top > Mark > Using Region
   `C-h i d m Emacs RET m Using Region RET`

What:
Change the paragraph from:

   By default, text insertion occurs normally even if the mark is
   active―for example, typing ‘a’ inserts the character ‘a’, then
   deactivates the mark.  If you enable Delete Selection mode, a minor
   mode, then inserting text while the mark is active causes the text in
   the region to be deleted first.  To toggle Delete Selection mode on
   or off, type ‘M-x delete-selection-mode’.

Change to:

   By default, text insertion occurs normally even if the mark is
   active―for example, typing ‘a’ inserts the character ‘a’, then
   deactivates the mark.

   On the other hand, if you enable Delete Selection mode, a minor
   mode, then inserting text while the mark is active causes the text in
   the region to be deleted first.  To toggle Delete Selection mode on
   or off, type ‘M-x delete-selection-mode’.

Rationale:

    I essentially only introduced a paragraph change and an
    interjection. However, I believe that is necessary to make the
    distinction between the words `deactivate' and `delete' which are
    confused to be similar in the flow of reading.

    To illustrate, read the following successively:
    `inserts the character ‘a’, then deactivates the mark'
    `inserting [...] causes the text [...] to be deleted first'

    Though different words, `deactivate' and `delete', they get minced
    in the quick read, and are at least mistaken to be of similar
    behaviour, which is potentially misleading. And the fact is
    `deactivate'-ing the mark is normal behaviour of emacs, and
    `delete'-ing is a special behaviour for intended folks.

Inspiration:

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/108581
    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/108583
    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/108591

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2015-10-25 on trouble, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11703000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing-updates (sid)

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IN
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  icicle-mode: t
  icicle-ido-like-mode: 127
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Wrote /home/bvr/academics/misc/gl/inc/bvr/sosys/TransformSeq.hpp
Mark set
Saving file /home/bvr/academics/misc/gl/inc/bvr/sosys/TransformSeq.hpp...
Wrote /home/bvr/academics/misc/gl/inc/bvr/sosys/TransformSeq.hpp
Composing main Info directory...done
Computing completion candidates...
Found `delete-selection-mode' in Command Index.  (Only match)
Mark saved where search started
Mark set [2 times]
Computing completion candidates...

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-tangle hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-table hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-table
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-crypt hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ox-texinfo hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-plantuml hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ox-ascii hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-bibtex hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-mouse hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ox-html hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-html
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-scheme hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-java hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-maxima hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-plot hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-exp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-js hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-C hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-clock hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ox-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-latex
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-rmail hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-protocol hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-macro hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-macro
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ox-beamer hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ox hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-octave hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-id hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-id
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-ruby hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ox-icalendar hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-eval hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-w3m hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-core hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-core
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-gnus hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-feed hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-table hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-R hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-ocaml hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-haskell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-ctags hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ox-publish hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-publish
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-capture hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-comint hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-shen hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-shen
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-python hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-fortran hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-docview hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ox-md hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-md
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-io hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-io
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-lilypond hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-lob hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-css hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-emacs-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-entities hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-ditaa hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-scala hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-scala
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-pcomplete hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ox-man hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-man
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-mscgen hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-info hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-info
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-sass hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-habit hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-datetree hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-matlab hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-src hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-src
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-irc hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-agenda hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-macs hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-ref hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-mhe hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-eshell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-makefile hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-clojure hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-footnote hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-colview hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-element hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-element
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-timer hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-ledger hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-inlinetask hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-calc hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-awk hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-screen hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-archive hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-indent hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-org hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-sql hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-install hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-install
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-version hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-version
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-bbdb hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-asymptote hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ox-odt hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-odt
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-picolisp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-list hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-list
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ox-org hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ox-org
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-keys hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-perl hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-attach hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-dot hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-faces hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-gnuplot hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-loaddefs hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/ob-sqlite hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-compat hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/bvr/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160108/org-mobile hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/org/org-mobile

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse ...)

Memory information:
((conses 16 506628 42492)
 (symbols 48 51270 0)
 (miscs 40 1142 3143)
 (strings 32 148030 14379)
 (string-bytes 1 3960940)
 (vectors 16 43571)
 (vector-slots 8 1129729 51450)
 (floats 8 2186 407)
 (intervals 56 21254 309)
 (buffers 960 27)
 (heap 1024 72879 2226))