Subject: bug#22457: 24.5; [PATCH] `dired-mark-if' should not count non-changes

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 01:02:47 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> > I don't think this exactly describes what the patch changed: it is not
> > about new vs total marks, but about marks of files that were already
> > marked before, right?
>
> It's this code:
>
>           (unless (looking-at-p (char-to-string dired-marker-char))
>             (delete-char 1)
>             (insert dired-marker-char)
>             (setq count (1+ count))))
>
> So now it says how many lines that are marked this time.  Previously it
> gave you a total tally of all marked files.

Yes, I think I understand.  My problem is that "[...] not how many files
are marked in total" sounds like as if marked files that were not even
touched by the command (that are not matched by the predicate) were
previously included.  You mean it relative to the files matched, right?

Oh, btw, this patch line

  (looking-at-p (char-to-string dired-marker-char))

is not good if dired-marker-char is a regexp special like . or ?, I
guess (regexp-quote missing)?

Michael