Subject: bug#22437: closed (Re: bug#22437: Fixing package-with-python2)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 18:13:05 +0000

Your bug report

#22437: Problems with non-auto-translated python-2 package variants

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22437: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22437
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22437: Fixing package-with-python2
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Cc: guix-devel <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 16:11:20 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I’ve pushed the ‘python2-variant’ trick as 1be8334.  Subsequent commits
use it for a bunch of packages.

I’ll let others handle the remaining packages where this would help.
:-)

Closing the bug!

Ludo’.

Subject: Problems with non-auto-translated python-2 package variants
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 14:52:42 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Python-2 variants of python-3 packages that are not automatically
translated by package-with-python2 are not used by auto-translated
python-2 packages.

For example, python2-cryptography requires python2-ipaddress. This is
not required by python-cryptography:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/python.scm#n5838

Python-oauthlib requires python-cryptography, and thus cannot be
translated wholly by package-with-python2. Package-with-python2 fails to
refer to the "hand-made" python2-cryptography that includes
python2-ipaddress, and insteads attempts to generate it automatically.
This results in a failed build of python2-cryptopgraphy because
python2-ipaddress is not being provided. The solution is to remove
python-cryptography from python2-oauthlib and provide
python2-cryptography "by hand":
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/python.scm#n2333

This is especially annoying when a python-2 variant needs to refer to
more than one of these "hand-made" python-2 packages:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-12/msg00921.html

There are many python-3 packages that include python-setuptools, even
though they build without it. I assume this is to easily take advantage
of package-with-python2.

Some context:
bug: python2 versions of packages failing as inputs
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22013
guix-devel: Python2-jsonschema fails:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-01/msg00604.html
guix-devel: Split acme into both Python variants
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-12/msg00921.html