Subject: Re: bug#22436: read-coding-system uses wrong default when called from write-file

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 07:56:05 +0200

> From: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 23:23:40 +0000
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> On 22 January 2016 at 21:23, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >> From: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
> >> Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 19:31:07 +0000
> >>
> >> >From "emacs -Q", enter a ‘ in the scratch buffer (e.g., by typing "C-x
> >> 8 ["). Save or write the buffer. The minibuffer prompts "Select coding
> >> system (default chinese-iso-8bit): ".
> >
> > Why do you think that's wrong?
> 
> Of course it's wrong. What do you mean?

Wrong how? in what way? what did you expect to happen instead?

Your locale's default encoding, cp1252, cannot encode this character,
so Emacs asked you to provide an encoding that can, and offered
chinese-iso-8bit as the default.

An encoding can be considered "wrong" if it fails to encode a
character.  AFAICS, chinese-iso-8bit does succeed in encoding it, so
the above definition of "wrong" doesn't fit.

In addition, there should be a *Warning* buffer displayed where you
have a long list of encodings Emacs knows about that can encode this
character; chinese-iso-8bit is just one of them, but the text there
tells you to select any one of them.  Do you see that buffer
displayed?

Given all this information, please do tell why you think what Emacs
did was wrong, and what did you think Emacs should have done instead.

Thanks.