Subject: 24.5; GNUS - No such function: nnregistry-request-group

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 11:41:46 -0500

While executing a function to do the following commands:

  (gnus-summary-refer-references)
  (gnus-summary-top-thread)
  (gnus-summary-refer-thread)

I get the error:

 "No such function: nnregistry-request-group

These commands are analogous to the keystrokes:

    A R T o A T

in the Gnus *Summary* buffer

What is `nnregistry-request-group` and how does one debug this?

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.6)
 of 2015-09-14 on buildvm-10.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11701000
Configured using:
 `configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Article

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done
Auto-saving...done

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/lisp/ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/ntlm

Features:
(shadow help-mode emacsbug sendmail mule-util sort smiley ansi-color
mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-cite qp gnus-ml disp-table nndraft
nnmh nndoc utf-7 rfc2104 nnfolder nnimap utf7 parse-time netrc gnutls
network-stream starttls tls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
mailcap nntp gnus-cache epa-file epa derived epg epg-config auth-source
cl-macs eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core
cl gv sieve sieve-mode sieve-manage password-cache nnir gnus-bogofilter
gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr wid-edit
cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 912398 47118)
 (symbols 48 132422 8122)
 (miscs 40 116 427)
 (strings 32 109155 12117)
 (string-bytes 1 4630744)
 (vectors 16 25025)
 (vector-slots 8 639432 11471)
 (floats 8 233 979)
 (intervals 56 50191 182)
 (buffers 960 36)
 (heap 1024 86089 57268))