Subject: 25.1.50; Forcing `window-scroll-functions` to run.

From: Keith David Bershatsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 21:49:40 -0800

As a feature request, please consider adding an alternative method to force the `window-scroll-functions` hook to run -- but NOT more than it would normally run. [In other words, it shouldn't run 3 times.]  I only found `(set-window-buffer (selected-window) (current-buffer))` as a viable means to achieve this goal.  `run-window-scroll-functions` runs immediately and is not a viable substitute for this feature request.  Some users may not wish to `set-window-buffer` or run the `window-configuration-change-hook` to achieve this feature request.

In my particular use case, I want to run a custom function only one time per command loop that is dependent upon the new `window-start` and `window-end`, which is only reliably available to the user after the `post-command-hook` has run its course.  My function is too costly time-wise to run more than once each command loop.  I have tried, to no avail, to come up with a test to ascertain with 100% accuracy (from the `post-command-hook`) to guess whether the `window-scroll-functions` hook will run and/or whether it will run more than one time (e.g., when cursor/point is partially visible).  I played around with `(pos-visible-in-window-p nil nil t)` and whether it returned a length of 0, 2 or 6 -- however, from the `post-command-hook`, that is insufficient to ascertain with 100% accuracy whether the `window-scroll-functions` hook will run once or twice or not at all.  The solution, I believe, is to force the `window-scroll-functions` hook to run during every redisplay -- but not more than it would normally run.

In other words, I want the `window-scroll-functions` hook to run every command loop when my custom minor-mode is active -- or twice if point/cursor is only partially visible (at the bottom of the window) and needs to be moved up a smidgen by redisplay.

Background:  my custom function is a cross-hairs created with overlays that works with `word-wrap` -- the vertical line is XPM that matches the character and color underneath.

Thanks,

Keith

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS appkit-1038.36 Version 10.6.8 (Build 10K549))
 of 2016-01-03 built on server.local
Repository revision: e94b1799d4f4c57266bdbc4801b26fe0121b7c7a
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1038
Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns --without-imagemagick --enable-checking=glyphs
 CPPFLAGS=-I/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/macports/include
 LDFLAGS=-L/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/macports/lib'

Configured features:
JPEG RSVG DBUS NOTIFY ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Grep

Minor modes in effect:
  tabbar-mode: t
  sb-mode: t
  ml-mode: t
  hl-mode: t
  kb-mode: t
  sd-mode: t
  fl-mode: t
  bc-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t

Recent messages:

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug message mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail lawlist-ztree lawlist-ys lawlist-ws
lawlist-wl elmo-imap4 elmo-localdir modb-standard modb-legacy
elmo-internal elmo-flag mmelmo-imap mmelmo-buffer elsp-generic mel-u
epg-config lawlist-w3m doc-view jka-compr image-mode ccl lawlist-vl
lawlist-view lawlist-undo lawlist-txt lawlist-tm lawlist-tex compare-w
diff-mode lawlist-tabbar lawlist-speedbar lawlist-shell info
esh-groups ehelp ange-ftp lawlist-sgml lawlist-sb lawlist-ruler
lawlist-replace lawlist-rectangle lawlist-re-builder lawlist-python
skeleton lawlist-profiler lawlist-print lawlist-php cl-seq cc-langs
lawlist-perl lawlist-parens lawlist-org lawlist-calendar org-agenda
org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs find-func holidays hol-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs lawlist-neotree lawlist-movement lawlist-mouse
lawlist-ml lawlist-misc lawlist-messages lawlist-mc lawlist-markdown
noutline outline lawlist-lorem lawlist-linum lawlist-keymap lawlist-js
json map thingatpt cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs lawlist-ispell
lawlist-isearch lawlist-info lawlist-imenu lawlist-ibuffer lawlist-hl
lawlist-grep lawlist-git pcvs-util ido seq server conf-mode
lawlist-framebufs lawlist-frame lawlist-fm lawlist-files zeroconf dbus
xml lawlist-env lawlist-elscreen lawlist-elisp lawlist-dv
lawlist-image lawlist-ds lawlist-dired dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec lawlist-diff lawlist-desktop frameset lawlist-saveplace
lawlist-debug lawlist-window debug lawlist-css smie lawlist-compile rx
lawlist-color lawlist-cm lawlist-cc lawlist-font-lock cl-macs
lawlist-calc lawlist-calc+ lawlist-bk lawlist-bc lawlist-bbdb gnus
gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-extr rfc822 timezone
lawlist-minibuffer gv lawlist-auth gnus-util mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr password-cache lawlist-as lawlist-archive lawlist-apropos
lawlist-+ lawlist-lcl byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv
lawlist-help disp-table easy-mmode edmacro kmacro quail help-mode
easymenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib pcase derived advice shell pcomplete
comint ansi-color ring savehist time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win
ucs-normalize term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind kqueue cocoa
ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2506629 211607)
 (symbols 48 86281 0)
 (miscs 40 1116 1187)
 (strings 32 198663 21468)
 (string-bytes 1 7537848)
 (vectors 16 61491)
 (vector-slots 8 1294267 27715)
 (floats 8 3369 803)
 (intervals 56 4477 414)
 (buffers 976 17))