Subject: bug#22402: info guix pages

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 00:23:42 +0100

"Thompson, David" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludo, to avoid this confusion in the future, perhaps the binary
> installation instructions for folks on foreign distros could have an
> additional instruction.  After symlinking root's guix to
> /usr/local/bin/guix, the documentation could suggest  symlinking the
> docs to /usr/local/share/info.  Would that help?

Good idea.  Done in aca738f.  Step #6 becomes:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
  6. Make the ‘guix’ command available to other users on the machine,
     for instance with:

          # mkdir -p /usr/local/bin
          # cd /usr/local/bin
          # ln -s /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix

     It is also a good idea to make the Info version of this manual
     available there:

          # mkdir -p /usr/local/share/info
          # cd /usr/local/share/info
          # for i in /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/share/info/* ;
            do ln -s $i ; done

     That way, assuming ‘/usr/local/share/info’ is in the search path,
     running ‘info guix’ will open this manual (*note (texinfo)Other
     Info Directories::, for more details on changing the Info search
     path.)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Carl, WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.