Subject: Re: bug#22402: info guix pages

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 11:45:09 +0100

carl hansen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Yes, that is the case, there is no mystery, there is indeed a
>  /root/.guix-profile/share/info/guix.info
> and there is NOT a
> ~user/.guix-profile/share/info/guix.info

OK.

> However I consider that a bug. Here I am a user, using guix, and I expect
> "info guix" to work. Why would the user have to switch to root just to read
> this one info file? After installing guix,  I would expect guix.info to be
> in my defalt .guix-profile, or a least a notice of how to install
> guix.info. ( coping and linking I know how to do, that's not the problem.
> It's a question
> of creating a polished piece of software.)

Yeah, I agree this is bad.  On GuixSD there’s no such problem because
Guix is installed system-wide, so “info guix” always picks up the
system-wide guix.info at least.

> Would "guix package -i guix" do the right thing?  That seems all
> wrong, would install stuff I already have.

It would do the trick, yes.

I’m not sure how to fix that problem on foreign distros.  Suggestions
welcome.

Ludo’.