Subject: bug#22400: closed (Re: bug#22400: Acknowledgement (24.5; Auto-insertion inserts nothing))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 16:10:02 +0000

Your bug report

#22400: 24.5; Auto-insertion inserts nothing

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22400: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22400
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22400: Acknowledgement (24.5; Auto-insertion inserts nothing)
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Robin Green <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 18:09:22 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Robin Green <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 15:56:39 +0000
> 
> My mistake - I had omitted the . in the alist entry.

Thanks, closing.  (Next time, you can do that yourself ;-)

Subject: 24.5; Auto-insertion inserts nothing
From: Robin Green <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 15:07:30 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I have, from emacs -Q, customised auto-insert-alist to insert a file in 
new Scala buffers, like this:

      ("\\.scala\\'" "schibsted.scala")

and also customised auto-insert-mode to t and ran (add-hook 
'find-file-hook 'auto-insert).

emacs asks me whether to do the insertion, but then doesn't insert 
anything - and doesn't show any error message, either.

The file schibsted.scala is a symbolic link in ~/insert (which is the 
value of auto-insert-directory).

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.17.8)
of 2015-09-11 on buildvm-21.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11800000
Configured using:
`configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
--disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
--bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
--datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
--libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
--sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
--with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
--with-gpm=no build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
-pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
-grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
-m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
auto-insert-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading autoinsert...done
(New file)
Perform \.scala\' auto-insertion? (y or n) y

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils skeleton autoinsert cus-start
cus-load time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 79178 5783)
(symbols 48 18498 0)
(miscs 40 38 99)
(strings 32 10846 4809)
(string-bytes 1 281322)
(vectors 16 8946)
(vector-slots 8 383422 18023)
(floats 8 64 159)
(intervals 56 220 1)
(buffers 960 12)
(heap 1024 41714 955))