Subject: Re: bug#22399: org-mode fontification

From: Rasmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 09:51:18 +0100

The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
that has been posted to gmane.emacs.orgmode as well.

Kyle Meyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've attached two patches against emacs-25 that would get the Org and
> Emacs repos in similar states wrt font-lock-ensure.

Thanks Kyle.

> The first patch replaces the font-lock-ensure compatibility alias from
> 6711a21f1 with the one currently used in the Org repo (from commit
> e6883dd03).  The new alias is limited to being called with no
> arguments, but, at the moment, no Org code calls font-lock-ensure with
> any arguments.

I just have one concern, which is pretty theoretical.  Isn’t it bad to
define the alias to be font-lock-ensure since this is an existing function
and people would have clear expectations of what they are calling?  I
realize that there’s no Emacs-25 that will not have this function (which
is why it’s very theoretical).  Also, if the alias were ever to point to
font-lock-fontify-buffer, the signature would change compared to the
expected signature of font-lock-ensure.

These considerations are probably too theoretical to consider further,
though.

> The second patch reverts a part of 6711a21f1 that modified
> org-src-font-lock-fontify-block to use font-lock-ensure rather than
> font-lock-fontify-buffer.  In this particular case, using
> font-lock-ensure instead of font-lock-fontify-buffer fails to
> highlight the source block.

Cool!

Cheers,
Rasmus

-- 
May contains speling mistake