Subject: bug#22392: Emacs OS X GUI doesn't set locale

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2016 11:21:53 +0200

> From: Random832 <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2016 02:36:32 -0500
> 
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016, at 02:32, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > I don't know.  Why don't those programs do that today?
> 
> Why don't which programs

The ones you alluded to.

> do what?

Set LANG for themselves.

> Terminal emulators *do* set LANG, as is being proposed here to have
> Emacs do likewise. Other programs do not, in general, execute
> subprocesses that care about LANG, so the fact that they don't set
> LANG doesn't matter any more than that Windows programs don't set
> it.

You can set LANG in the program's environment even if you don't launch
subprocesses, just to have the relevant libc routines adjust their
defaults.  In fact, that's why Emacs does that in the first place.

I'm asking why don't the programs you allude to do that already.  If
they do, then setting LANG in Emacs, and passing that to those
programs as result, might interfere with what those programs already
do.