Subject: Re: bug#22392: Emacs OS X GUI doesn't set locale

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2016 09:32:45 +0200

> From: Random832 <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2016 02:12:12 -0500
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > By contrast, OS X is (AFAIK) a BSD-ish system, so I expect much more
> > programs to change their behavior when LANG is set to something that
> > suits Emacs, but is not necessarily "right" for the rest of the
> > system.
> 
> Why wouldn't it be right for the rest of the system?

I don't know.  Why don't those programs do that today?

> Keep in mind that 99% of the time the only programs that are going
> to be executing "BSD-ish" programs are going to be terminal
> emulators, which also set LANG.

If you are saying those programs all have bugs, then I find it hard to
believe, and anyway, it isn't Emacs's job to fix bugs all over the
system.

However, if enough use cases will be reported which show that indeed
many programs invoked by Emacs work better with that setting in the
environment, I will change my mind.  No such examples materialized
yet, AFAIR.