Subject: bug#22392: 25.0.50; NS Emacs run from OS X GUI doesn't set locale

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 18:03:22 +0200

> From: Random832 <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 17:09:02 -0500
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> I'm incidentally not sure that it's really appropriate for windows,
> either - there, it should be using windows-1252, not iso-latin-1.

I don't remember any complaints about that.  The related code is very
old.

> I have to wonder how Emacs behaves on versions of windows whose
> default codepage is not a trivial superset of an ISO one.

See locale-language-names.  Which locales and codepages did you have
in mind, specifically?

> The proper encoding should be able to be determined by the GetACP
> function, and should always be a windows codepage.

Depends on what the proper encoding will be used for.  In general
Windows has 2 - 3 pertinent codepages at any given time, each one used
for different purposes.  (Emacs also has several coding-systems to set
by default.)