Subject: Re: bug#22384: Requirements for an ARM port?

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 21:39:24 +0100

Jookia <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I'm considering seeing if I can get GuixSD to work on an ARM board of mine. I'd
> like to know what the main blockers are that I'll need to pass. From what I've
> read and understood, the reason there's no ARM port now is lack of work and
> reliance on GRUB. Assuming I bootstrap and set up a u-boot package for my
> specific board, what else would I need to do?

I think getting a working bootloader and kernel are the main blockers
(the current ‘linux-libre’ package might work already, or it might need
more tweaks; I don’t think anyone has tried to boot it on ARM.)

I would prefer if we could use GRUB with ARM support¹ if possible.
Using U-Boot would be OK if GRUB doesn’t work as expected, but it’s more
work; namely, a module equivalent to (gnu system grub) would need to be
made, and (gnu system) would need to be made independent of GRUB.

At any rate, GuixSD on ARM would be very nice!

Ludo’.

¹ https://wiki.linaro.org/LEG/Engineering/Kernel/GRUB (GRUB 2.02 should
  work)