Subject: bug#22369: 24.5; comment-style 'extra-line' doesn't correctly indent with tabs

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 19:21:38 +0000

Hello, Lars and Geyslan.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 19:38:33 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> >> May I suggest the addition of a new comment-style option that does like this?

> >>         /* void main()
> >>          * {
> >>          *  int i;
> >>          *  int b;
> >>          *  printf("format string");
> >>          * }
> >>          */

> > OK, because of this feature request, I'll leave the bug open.  This would
> > indeed not be difficult to implement, but it'll have to be discussed on
> > the developers' mailing list.

> Was this ever discussed any further?  It looks a bit odd to me...

I don't think there was any more discussion about this.

To be exact, the feature request was to have another option for
comment-style called something like bottom-extra which would add an
extra comment line at the bottom of a group, but not one at the top.

Four years on, I'm not convinced the feature is worth implementing, even
if it wouldn't be difficult.  It would involve extending the spec of
comment-styles such that each entry would have EXTRA-TOP and
EXTRA-BOTTOM in place of the current EXTRA.  Backward compatibility
could be had at the cost of counting the number of elements in each
entry.

One quirk the OP, Geyslan, pointed out was a possibly obtrusive space
when an empty line gets commented in comment-style extra-line, something
like:

              /*
	       * foo();
	       *            <=========== possibly obtrusive space.
	       * bar();
	       */

I'm not sure whether or not this is a bug or a feature.  If a bug, it
wouldn't be difficult to fix.

Geyslan, have you any more thoughts about this bug?

> -- 
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).