Subject: 24.5; Emacs asks for confirmation an unnecessary third time about overwriting a changed file

From: Robin Green <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 19:35:48 +0000

I chose to edit a buffer whose file had changed on disk. I was asked 3
times by emacs if I wished to proceed. The first 2 times were
understandable; the third was excessive. The first time was when I
pressed the first key while attempting to edit the file; the second time
asked for a full 'yes' or 'no' answer when attempting to save the file,
and the third time occurred immediately after the second time, and was
the same question as the first time.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.17.8)
of 2015-09-11 on buildvm-21.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11800000
Configured using:
`configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
--disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
--bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
--datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
--libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
--sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
--with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
--with-gpm=no build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
-pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
-fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
-grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
-m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
recentf-mode: t
global-flycheck-mode: t
flycheck-mode: t
diff-auto-refine-mode: t
github-notifier-mode: t
window-numbering-mode: t
helm-mode: t
async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
projectile-global-mode: t
projectile-mode: t
override-global-mode: t
pallet-mode: t
desktop-save-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
column-number-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
.topmsg changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y, n, r or C-h) y
File on disk now will become a backup file if you save these changes.
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
End of buffer [2 times]
Auto-saving...done
Saving file /home/robin/git/self-serve-db/.topmsg...
.topmsg changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y, n, r or C-h) y
File on disk now will become a backup file if you save these changes.
Wrote /home/robin/git/self-serve-db/.topmsg

Load-path shadows:
/home/robin/.emacs.d/.cask/24.5.1/elpa/helm-20160112.2025/helm-multi-match 
hides 
/home/robin/.emacs.d/.cask/24.5.1/elpa/helm-core-20160111.2319/helm-multi-match
/home/robin/.emacs.d/.cask/24.5.1/elpa/flim-20151212.2350/hex-util hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/hex-util
/home/robin/.emacs.d/.cask/24.5.1/elpa/flim-20151212.2350/md4 hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/md4
/home/robin/.emacs.d/.cask/24.5.1/elpa/flim-20151212.2350/sasl-cram 
hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/home/robin/.emacs.d/.cask/24.5.1/elpa/flim-20151212.2350/hmac-def hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/hmac-def
/home/robin/.emacs.d/.cask/24.5.1/elpa/flim-20151212.2350/sasl-ntlm 
hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/home/robin/.emacs.d/.cask/24.5.1/elpa/flim-20151212.2350/sasl hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/sasl
/home/robin/.emacs.d/.cask/24.5.1/elpa/flim-20151212.2350/ntlm hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/ntlm
/home/robin/.emacs.d/.cask/24.5.1/elpa/flim-20151212.2350/hmac-md5 hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/home/robin/.emacs.d/.cask/24.5.1/elpa/flim-20151212.2350/sasl-digest 
hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/sasl-digest

Features:
(shadow sort emacsbug sendmail wgrep find-dired mail-extr tabify man
eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe recentf tree-widget repeat
thing-cmds hide-comnt misearch multi-isearch hl-line epg finder-inf
mm-archive message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader url-handlers paradox paradox-menu mule-util
paradox-commit-list hydra lv paradox-execute paradox-github paradox-core
spinner python tramp-cache hippie-exp ido image-file goto-addr cus-edit
wid-edit genrnc yaxception log4e concurrent deferred em-glob esh-util
helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug eldoc winner mail-utils
desktop+ jka-compr yaml-mode markdown-mode noutline outline conf-mode
sh-script smie executable nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util
nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok ensime-company yasnippet company scala-mode2
scala-mode2-imenu scala-mode2-sbt scala-mode2-map scala-mode2-fontlock
scala-mode2-indent scala-mode2-paragraph scala-mode2-lib hl-todo pcase
flycheck find-func rx subr-x seq ensime ensime-sbt sbt-mode
sbt-mode-rgrep sbt-mode-comint sbt-mode-buffer sbt-mode-project
ensime-http ensime-ui ensime-semantic-highlight ensime-doc ensime-search
ensime-undo ensime-startup ensime-refactor diff-mode ensime-popup
ensime-notes ensime-model ensime-mode ensime-inspector imenu
ensime-goto-testfile ensime-editor popup ensime-debug gdb-mi bindat gud
ensime-stacktrace ensime-inf ensime-completion-util scala-mode2-syntax
ensime-config ensime-util ensime-client ensime-vars flymake hideshow
arc-mode archive-mode ensime-macros cl gnutls network-stream starttls
url-http tls url-gw url-cache url-auth github-notifier bookmark+
bookmark+-key derived bookmark+-1 bookmark+-bmu help-mode bookmark+-lit
window-numbering helm-mode helm-config helm-easymenu async-bytecomp
async helm-projectile helm-files image-dired tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete format-spec dired-x dired-aux
ffap helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info bookmark pp
helm-external helm-net browse-url xml url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse auth-source gnus-util password-cache url-vars mailcap
helm-buffers helm-grep helm-regexp helm-plugin helm-elscreen helm-utils
helm-locate helm-help helm-types helm helm-source helm-multi-match
helm-lib dired projectile grep compile comint ansi-color ring ibuf-ext
ibuffer thingatpt server javap-mode edmacro kmacro bind-key easy-mmode
browse-at-remote vc-git pallet eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cl-extra cconv eieio-core advice info easymenu cask cl-macs gv
cask-bootstrap package-build mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr json
lisp-mnt shut-up epl git commander f dash s ucs-normalize package
epg-config desktop frameset cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-start cus-load
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1545138 196070)
(symbols 48 52112 79)
(miscs 40 3569 1087)
(strings 32 163262 56497)
(string-bytes 1 4556001)
(vectors 16 83159)
(vector-slots 8 2089159 125133)
(floats 8 521 2061)
(intervals 56 170647 1177)
(buffers 960 106)
(heap 1024 146843 13346))