Subject: bug#22364: 25.0.50; Emacs freezes when regenating tags

From: ReneFroger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 15:14:55 +0100

http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/19075/regenerate-tags-without-freezing-emacs-for-a-while

When I call the command `projectile-regenate-tags` while I'm in the middle of a
project, the project will be scanned by ctags and the tags are stored in the
TAGS file.

While all this action is progressing, Emacs is unreachable unitl the generation
of tags is completed. Others told me this is a bug of Emacs, not projectile, and
I need to report it here.  

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.7)
 of 2015-11-02
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
System Description:	Ubuntu 15.10

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 '--includedir=${prefix}/include' '--mandir=${prefix}/share/man'
 '--infodir=${prefix}/share/info' --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
 --disable-silent-rules '--libdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' --disable-maintainer-mode
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --program-suffix=-snapshot --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security'
 CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nl_NL.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nl_NL.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: nl_NL.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: 
  locale-coding-system: utf-8

Major mode: EShell

Minor modes in effect:
  text-scale-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  global-evil-search-highlight-persist: t
  evil-search-highlight-persist: t
  diredp-highlight-autofiles-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  golden-ratio-mode: t
  ido-vertical-mode: t
  flx-ido-mode: t
  imagex-global-sticky-mode: t
  imagex-sticky-mode: t
  persp-mode: t
  shackle-mode: t
  simpleclip-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  smooth-scroll-mode: t
  vimish-fold-global-mode: t
  vimish-fold-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  openwith-mode: t
  beacon-mode: t
  global-adaptive-wrap-prefix-mode: t
  adaptive-wrap-prefix-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  dired-omit-mode: t
  helm-flx-mode: t
  global-evil-visualstar-mode: t
  evil-visualstar-mode: t
  global-evil-matchit-mode: t
  evil-matchit-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Indenting region...done
GNU Emacs 25.0.50.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.7) of 2015-11-02
Indenting region...done
C-h C-g is undefined
Type "q" in help window to delete it.
evil-line-move: Beginning of buffer
user-error: Can’t find j
copied to clipboard
funcall-interactively: End of buffer
evil-line-move: End of buffer
Quit [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/home/ehart/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20160105.338/helm-multi-match hides /home/ehart/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-core-20160105.327/helm-multi-match
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/home/ehart/.emacs.d/elpa/seq-20151121.1017/seq hides /usr/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug helm-imenu eieio-opt em-unix em-term em-script
em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner
em-alias esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups
eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util skeleton face-remap org-element org-indent
org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex
org-bbdb org-w3m winner helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug evil-numbers
evil-textobj-anyblock evil-anzu anzu evil-search-highlight-persist
aggressive-indent bm calfw-ical icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs calfw
holidays hol-loaddefs comment-dwim-2 corral cider tramp-sh cider-debug
cider-browse-ns cider-inspector cider-mode cider-resolve cider-interaction
arc-mode archive-mode cider-overlays cider-test cider-stacktrace cider-repl
cider-doc org-table cider-grimoire cider-popup cider-eldoc cider-client
cider-common cider-util clojure-mode-expansions clojure-mode nrepl-client queue
ewoc cider-compat spinner dired+ highlight bookmark+ bookmark+-key bookmark+-1
bookmark+-bmu bookmark+-lit dired-efap dired-filter dired-narrow dired-ranger
dired-hacks-utils dired-sort edit-server elscreen flycheck-tip error-tip popup
general-close general-close-modes golden-ratio header2 ido-vertical-mode
ido-grid-mode idomenu flx-ido ido-clever-match image+ image-file
the-org-mode-expansions org-location-google-maps org-agenda google-maps
google-maps-static google-maps-geocode google-maps-base org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
persp-projectile perspective rainbow-mode color rainbow-delimiters restclient
warnings shackle simpleclip smartparens smooth-scroll string-edit
transpose-frame twittering-mode vimish-fold f volatile-highlights wsd-mode
wsd-flycheck flycheck find-func subr-x ob-wsdmode ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
wsd-core yasnippet js2-mode-expansions js2-mode js-mode-expansions js
html-mode-expansions sgml-mode php-mode flymake add-log cc-mode-expansions
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs zencoding-mode iso-cvt mm-archive url-handlers network-stream nsm
starttls url-cache config-buffers config-docview config-css config-eww
config-memento memento config-eshell config-keybindings config-styling
which-func imenu paren junza-theme config-web config-php company-tern
dash-functional company-yasnippet company-files company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags etags xref project company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-capf company-cmake company-xcode company-clang
company-semantic company-eclim company-template company-css company-nxml
company-bbdb company tern url-http tls url-auth url-gw config-javascript
config-elisp config-yasnippet config-wsd-mode config-volatile-highlights
config-vimish-fold config-uniquify config-undo-tree config-twittering-mode
config-transpose-frame config-tldr tldr config-tags config-swiper
config-stringedit align expand-region text-mode-expansions web-mode-expansions
er-basic-expansions expand-region-core expand-region-custom edbi epc ctable
concurrent deferred sqlup-mode sql-indent sql view config-sql
config-smoothscroll config-smartparens config-smart-mode-line
smart-mode-line-light-theme smart-mode-line rich-minority config-simpleclip
config-shell-pop shell-pop term ehelp config-shackle saveplace config-saveplace
config-restclient restart-emacs config-restart-emacs config-recentf
config-rainbowdelimiters config-rainbow config-perspective config-org mu4e-alert
time ht s ucs-normalize alert log4e notifications dbus gntp mu4e mu4e-speedbar
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe mu4e-main mu4e-view epa derived epg
mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido rfc2368 smtpmail sendmail
mu4e-mark mu4e-message html2text mu4e-proc mu4e-utils doc-view jka-compr
image-mode mu4e-lists mu4e-vars message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils
gmm-utils mailheader hl-line mu4e-meta config-mu4e config-minibuffer
config-lispy config-image config-ido config-hydra hydra lv config-header
config-golden-ratio config-generalclose config-flycheck config-erc
config-elscreen config-edit-server openwith direx config-dired config-diminish
config-clojure config-corral config-company config-commentdwim2 config-calfw
config-bonjourmadame bonjourmadame web-mode disp-table config-bookmarks beacon
seq config-beacon config-backup config-avy link-hint goto-addr avy
config-ahk-mode config-aggressive-indent adaptive-wrap config-adaptive-wrap
highlight-symbol config-expand-region config-keychord key-seq key-chord
config-projectile helm-projectile projectile-codesearch codesearch projectile
grep ibuf-ext ibuffer dash config-helm-swoop helm-swoop helm-chrome json flx
helm-mode helm-files rx image-dired dired-x dired-aux ffap helm-buffers
helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info bookmark pp
helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp helm-plugin helm-external helm-net browse-url
xml url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap helm-utils compile helm-help
helm-types helm helm-source eieio-compat helm-multi-match helm-lib dired
helm-flx config-helm config-evil-little-word evil-visualstar evil-matchit evil
evil-integration undo-tree diff evil-maps evil-commands evil-command-window
evil-types evil-search evil-ex evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core
evil-common thingatpt rect evil-digraphs evil-vars config-evil config-functions
windmove config-hooks ange-ftp tramp-ftp tramp tramp-compat auth-source cl-seq
eieio byte-opt eieio-core gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache
tramp-loaddefs cl-macs trampver shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring
format-spec advice recentf tree-widget wid-edit config-setq config-path server
use-package diminish bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv bind-key
easy-mmode cl gv finder-inf edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib info package
easymenu epg-config time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom
widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1365515 143704)
 (symbols 48 74148 8)
 (miscs 40 1000 1507)
 (strings 32 231595 46444)
 (string-bytes 1 9161777)
 (vectors 16 134062)
 (vector-slots 8 3502936 117879)
 (floats 8 10135 1378)
 (intervals 56 51211 7211)
 (buffers 976 37)
 (heap 1024 131848 12205))