Subject: Re: bug#2235: 22.2.1 emacs -Q should not turn on font-lock

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 21:32:54 +0200

> From: Jari Aalto <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 19:32:43 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> Please refrain from turning on additional features when "bare bones"
> >> (-Q) program behavior is asked.
> >
> > No, thanks.  The -Q option is largely intended for debugging

Indeed.  This is Emacs, not XEmacs: -Q does not mean "bare bones", it
means "without loading any customization files".

> If the -Q option cannot be changed, please provide separate option which
> turns off colors, something like:
> 
>   --no-colors

This is already available, it's called "--color=never".  Although I
don't understand why you think it will load faster than the default
version.  Care to explain? or is this again based on your experience
with XEmacs?

> 1)  Some programs that parse EDITOR, can't handle embedded quotes and
>     embedded spaces  correctly.

Which ones?

> 3)  The short, self documenting option "--no-colors" and some suitable
>     short option is easier to write.

It's only self-documenting if one reads documentation.  But if one
does read documentation, then one would have known about a no less
self-documenting option "--color".