Subject: bug#2235: 22.2.1 emacs -Q should not turn on font-lock

From: Jari Aalto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 19:32:43 +0200

Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Please refrain from turning on additional features when "bare bones"
>> (-Q) program behavior is asked.
>
> No, thanks.  The -Q option is largely intended for debugging

Not just debugging. When other programs call for $EDITOR, the typical
value is for emacs users is:

    EDITOR="emacs -Q -nw"

beacuse most want the editor to start in these cases as fast as
possible.

> If the colors on a white terminal are unreadable, we should fix them
> everywhere, not just in -Q.

If the -Q option cannot be changed, please provide separate option which
turns off colors, something like:

  --no-colors

I know it's possiblt to:

   --eval '(global-font-lock-mode -1)'

But I'd call that 'workaround', considering:

1)  Some programs that parse EDITOR, can't handle embedded quotes and
    embedded spaces  correctly.
2)  It calls for understanding more lisp than needed for average Joe
3)  The short, self documenting option "--no-colors" and some suitable
    short option is easier to write.

Jari