Subject: Re: 23.0.90; custom-set-faces inhibits faces differences between X11 and console clients

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 11:01:32 -0500

This is, indeed, a problem.  Tthe customize-face facility ought to allow
you to specify terminal-dependent face settings.  Hopefully, someone
will write such an enhancement, but this will probably not happen before
the upcoming 23.1 release.

One workaround that I can suggest is to reset the defface spec of the
face within your .emacs file, like this:

 (put 'font-lock-comment-face 'face-defface-spec nil)
 (defface font-lock-comment-face
   '((((class color) (background light))
      (:foreground "green"))
     (((class color) (background dark))
      (:foreground "yellow"))
     (t (:weight bold :slant italic)))
   "Font Lock mode face used to highlight comments."
   :group 'font-lock-faces)

The changes that you make this way will not apply to the first frame,
but they will apply to subsequent frames.